Rooted in Theravada teachings of ethics, mindfulness, concentration and wisdom, Calgary Insight Meditation Society’s mission is to foster community, practice and learning among meditation and Dhamma practitioners in Calgary.
Calgary’s Insight/Theravada tradition community is connected and supportive, engaged in practicing, learning, sharing and serving in the spirit of the Dhamma.
Calgary IMS will
- Serve as a community hub for Calgary area practitioners to share news, events and opportunities to help foster an engaged community of meditators and Dhamma practitioners;
- Support connection and cooperation with other Insight/Theravada tradition communities in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and abroad;
- Support connection and cooperation with practitioners of other Buddhist and secular meditation traditions in the Calgary area;
- Promote, offer, assist with or manage practice and educational opportunities such as non-residential and residential retreats, workshops, classes and drop-in groups for new and experienced practitioners;
- Foster opportunities for mutual support, community and mentorship for senior practitioners and teachers.
- Calgary IMS values are founded in Buddhadhamma.
- Participating in Calgary IMS is an opportunity to deepen Dhamma practice and follow the path leading to liberation from dukkha.
- We strive to serve in alignment with the Eightfold Path, including Wise View, Wise Intention, Wise Speech, and Wise Action.